Mia Cucina da Texas

Saturday, March 24, 2007

At my work, we tend to talk about food a lot: what we grilled, what recipe we tried, where to get a good deal. Usually these culinary discussions happen over a surgery or a disgusting dental, but it doesn't deter us.

Recently, someone was telling us about a rich etouffe recipe, "You wouldn't believe it! It calls for lots of butter - REAL butter!"

I had to interrupt. "Real butter is the ONLY butter worth putting in your mouth! You can't eat that margarine crap. You know it turns straight into plaques in your arteries!"

Unfortunately, every time I say this at work, most people look at me puzzled, with only slight recognition of trans fats.

That's when I told them: there are only 3 fats in my house. Butter. Olive Oil. Canola oil. You don't need and shouldn't mess with anything else.

However, I did buy some peanut oil last week, to fry the gorditas in. I used it tonight to make Crescenza in Carrozza - little fried egg-battered cheese sandwiches.

What fats enjoy residence in your Cucina?

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Your three are the main ones: butter for baking, olive oil for cooking, and canola oil for frying in general around here. Not to be missed as accent oils, though, are walnut, macadamia nut and, only when I'm not pregnant (too overwhelming to my sensitive olfactory right now) another great one is truffle oil. Also, grapeseed has a higher flashpoint than other "good" oils, so it is helpful if you need to cook something at extremely high heat.

March 27, 2007 at 9:33:00 AM PDT  
Blogger get2eric said...

Like you, we have only c.o.b. in our house.

April 8, 2007 at 8:09:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home