Mia Cucina da Texas

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Since yesterday it was Chinese New Year's Eve, we decided to have stir-fry for dinner. However, I didn't have any chicken defrosted, and I was craving Tofu. Instead of driving to the grocery store to get it, then fry it myself, I called our local Chinese place and asked if I could just get an order of fried tofu, with no sauce or veggies, to go. After some consultation with the hand over the phone, they decided yes, they could sell me a entree portion of tofu for $6, and it came with a side of rice. I ordered another side of rice, and voila, I didn't have to cook rice either!

Anna and I hopped in the Prius and drove to pick up the tofu. The restaurant owners were very nice but curious about this order. They wanted to show me what they had for me - a large container full of crispy tofu triangles. "Yes, perfect!" I told them. "You don't want any sauce or anything?" they asked, and I told them we were going to cook it ourselves with our homegrown broccoli; I just didn't want the mess of frying it. "Are you vegetarians?" they asked, and I said no, we just really like tofu. Then as I left, I said, "Happy New Year!" and they broke into big smiles and said, "Yes! Tomorrow is the New Year!"

The tofu with broccoli, zucchini, onions, and hoisin sauce was great, and we only had to wash the wok and the cutting board!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home