Mia Cucina da Texas

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Arrivederci, miei pomodori!


Oh, how sad I am to leave our tomato plants one week before the expected peak. Not that we won't get great tomatoes in Europe, but still, these are miei bambini, I watched them grow up, and I hate to leave them to the mockingbirds.

Tonight Anthony and I dined on a mongo Insalata Caprese, some good bread, and some good vino. The kids ate a huge cucumber salad with some cherry tomatoes. Even after we made all that, we still had this bounty today:


Those aren't fancy big yellow cukes, those are ones that were hidden and left too long on the vine. We'll cut them in half and serve them to the chickens tomorrow. The kids were SO EXCITED to go out and harvest all this stuff today, and very enthusiastic about eating it. It "tickles me innards" as my dad would say to see them enjoying and understanding local produce.

Here's a salad I made last week to take to friends:

Ciao, tutti!

4 Comments:

Blogger get2eric said...

What a good looking salad.

July 21, 2008 at 11:10:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

You gonna cook anything this summer?

August 23, 2008 at 7:34:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello this is your poor neglected food blog. I know you've been busy all summer. I can handle that. But now you are back in town. Surely you are feeding that family something? Sack lunches? Smoothies? Anything? Throw me a bone! The last entry was in June for goodness sakes!

September 7, 2008 at 5:45:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Come on...food tales from the crypt now...it's October...bring the food blog back from the dead.

October 1, 2008 at 9:59:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home